Thursday, March 19, 2009

Spring is Near!

So after about a week and a half of being pretty sick (got a flu virus or something) I actually did some art. Yesterday I completed a drawing and today as well. It's been dreadfully gloomy outside lately with yesterday being a small exception, and the grayness has really made me lethargic and unmotivated. After going full speed working on stuff all the way up to putting up my show, I've been rather inactive on the art side of things lately. It was nice drawing again today. I think I get a "high" from doing art. It gets my serotonin levels up or something. Is that the right word?? It really is amazing though how much better it makes me feel when I'm kind of down.

I've decided that this year I am going to participate in the MAP (Maryland Art Place) art show "Out of Order". I missed it last year. I didn't even really know what it was, but this year I am ready. I'll probably use a piece from the Evergreen show when that comes down soon. It's all framed and everything, so it's ready to go. Basically, what this event is, is a chance for artists to sell work and MAP to raise some funds for their organization. Artists are free to hang one piece of art (it's not juried) for the show and for one night, people will bid on these works (silently). If the work sells, the profit is split 50/50. Not bad. All the artist has to do is set a minimum bid. I had read that last year most of the stuff that sold was priced between $200-$600, so I'm going to choose a piece that I feel is within this range. I'd really like to sell something.

In the meantime, I'm posting the two drawings from yesterday and today. They're small works. I'm taking a break from the big complex drawings for a little bit until I feel up to doing one of those again. Enjoy : )


"Satchel of Bones" India ink on found paper 4 3/4" x 7 1/2"


"Joyous Flight" India ink and micron pen on found paper 8" x 11"


detail 1


detail 2

No comments: