Saturday, January 29, 2011

My work in Elle Girl Magazine

I was recently asked to have my sketchbooks featured in Elle Girl magazine. This is the Korean edition, as the U.S. edition was discontinued several years ago. They specifically requested this sketchbook because of the bright colors in it. I created it back in 2007-08. My work is on the left page. Myself and 3 other artists had their sketchbooks featured, as well as a mini interview. I'm posting below my answers (in english). I have to say that I was surprised they contacted me, because I never would have envisioned my work in a teen girl magazine overseas. However, I am very grateful for the exposure it will afford me (in South Korea anyway).

1. First of all, please introduce yourself to ELLE Girl Korea.

My name is Jon and I am an American artist currently living in Rochester Hills, Michigan. I was born in South Korea but moved to the United States when I was less than a year old. I attended the Maryland Institute College of Art in Baltimore, Maryland where I earned a bachelors in Illustration. Now I divide my time between doing freelance illustration for editorial publications and work for gallery exhibitions. I have exhibited mostly in the United States but also overseas a bit too.


2. When did you have your ‘first’ sketchbook? Do you still have it?

I really can not remember, but it must have been some time in elementary school. I do not have many of my early sketchbooks anymore, which is unfortunate because it can be really fun looking at your artwork from childhood. Most of the sketchbooks I have are from the past 10 years.


3. Please introduce the theme of your sketchbooks (cartoon, travel, story..).

My sketchbooks usually do not have a theme to them. I use them to record whatever random and interesting images pop into my head. It is very much my free thinking recorded on the pages. If the sketchbook is unified in any way, it is usually by whatever medium I choose to use.


4. Usually which materials do you use to feature your sketchbook? (ex: color paper, pencil, crayon, acrylic, watercolors and so on)

I use a lot of pen and ink, acrylic paint, watercolor and sometimes markers and collage paper elements.


5. What is the most beautiful thing about having my own sketchbook?

There are no rules and you can experiment in any way you choose. The only person you have to please is yourself.


6. What do your sketchbooks mean to you?

They are very personal, sort of like a journal. They are also a record of the past, which can be very insightful to reflect upon later. When you look at old sketchbooks, you can remember what you were interested in at the time you created the artwork.


7. What is your favorite color and why?

I like the color green a lot. Green can be a very versatile color in expressing emotion in art. It also has a lot of associations with nature, which I really appreciate.


8. Do you have a wanna-be artist? Who is she/he?

I really admire the work of artists like William Blake, Gustaf Tenggren, Alfred Kubin, Harry Clarke, Remedios Varos, Kikki Smith, Giorgio de Chirico and Ernst Haeckel.


9. Are there things you want to come true this year? Are you working on some projects?

I think it would be fun to have a solo art exhibition this year, work with some new editorial clients, make an animation and work on my painting some more. I have a collaborative sketchbook project I am working on right now, as well as a group show in New York later in the year.


The picture below I just posted for fun. I found it amusing because I have never seen fashion and cheese balls or fruit by the foot in the same image. Who would've guessed?
I like this too. It's suggestions for sensible presents to give your boyfriend/girlfriend for Valentines day. Now what could be more sensible than digestive crackers for "her" and anti-wrinkle cream for "him"? Awesome.



No comments: