Sunday, July 24, 2011

Back from hiatus update

Hello all,

I recently got back from a two week vacation in beautiful Vermont, hence the lack of posts lately. The weather was great, although abnormally hot for the state. I took tons of pictures and spent a lot of time outside the second week when I was staying on lake Champlain. I even worked on some new drawings during the two weeks. A nice trip overall.

Anyway, now that I'm back, I thought I would post a new piece that is currently in the "Ritual" show in New York (at Causey Contemporary). This is one of three pieces on display there. I'll post the other two in the next few days.

The show opened while I was in Vermont, but I got some pictures from Trystan (of the Honeycomb Collective) of the opening and setup of the show. I will post those this week sometime.

As the show title states, "Ritual" was the theme. This piece is called "Reawakening of the Long-Departed", which is pretty self-explanatory. I was inspired by the music of the ballet "The Rite of Spring" by Stravinksy for all three of my works. Pretty fitting since the music is about a ritualistic human sacrifice. Not only the music itself, but the titles of the scenes were an inspirational source. I didn't create the works based on specific parts of the music, but after I completed the pieces I went back and listened the music again and tried to pick out what scenes fit my imagery. That was kind of fun, if not a little difficult. I decided this drawing was best suited to the scene called "Mystic Circles of the Young Girls". Have a listen to that part of the recording (if you have one) and hear for yourself.

my sketch for the piece

India ink on paper - 18" x 24"

detail shots

more about the "Rite of Spring": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rite_of_Spring

more about Causey Contemporary who is hosting the exhibition: http://www.causeycontemporary.com/

The show is up until August 28th, so check it out if you are in the Brooklyn area!

No comments: