Thursday, September 8, 2011

Debut of my brand NEW website!

Alright folks, the time has finally come to let you know that I have a new website up! It was WAY overdue, and after about 2 years of feeling guilty for my sadly outdated and dead looking site, I got it together and worked long and hard to put this new one up. I had a ton of help from my friend Reid who thankfully knows all about these things. Thanks Reid! We live in different states, so we were doing this all on the phone and via skype. But after about 6 sessions we finally wrapped things up late last night.

I made a site years before, but that was purely in the design view of dreamweaver and there were many little things that were never quite right. I was also using some horrible tables and framesets, pop-up windows, and bad fonts.......ugh, the list goes on and on. Every time I would see that I was getting traffic to my blog or flickr from my site, I would cringe a little. Not only did the site design need to be updated, but the content did as well. Here is what the old site looked like (note the outdated pop-up window):
The challenge with making the new site was learning styles, html and getting comfortable looking at code in general. It wasn't my cup of tea for sure, but I did learn a lot in the process. That said, I don't need to hear the word "div" for a while.

I have a lot of new content on the site. The illustration page (which is the homepage) pretty much has all new content on it. The info page has a bunch of links to interviews I have done and sites of nice people who have featured my work online. There's also a few links to places where you can buy my work as prints, a flickr link, and a totally updated resume you can download. The overall look of the site is very simple. I wanted it to be easy to navigate and streamlined, with a white background to make the artwork the focus and plain black and gray text. No frills.

As soon as I get some more content I am going to switch out a few of the illustration pieces, but I am pleased with the way it looks at the moment. At least my phone number is correct now!

Here is what the NEW site looks like.
By the way, the "coming soon" piece in the upper left-hand corner is an album cover that is soon to be released. I will of course post about that on here when it comes out.

In the meantime, please check out the new site! www.jonmacnair.com


2 comments:

rina said...

the website looks really good :) I like your sketchbooks very much!

Jon MacNair said...

Thanks so much for the feedback! :)